What we do
We have the following aims:-
- To improve living standards by funding training for women's co-operatives in fruit & vegetable preservation, and by helping them to start their own businesses.
- To provide sewing machines and material for school uniforms. This enables more children to attend school, while also providing a lucrative business for the women.
So far we've done the following:-
- Built and equipped two libraries at Kabafita and Brikama Schools which serve the whole community.
- Provided many schools with much-needed equipment and learning materials.
- Provided 160 sewing machines and materials to 80 outlying villages enabling them to make their children's school uniforms, as well as sheets and clothes.
- Provided the Lamin women's Garden with fertiliser each year, and tractor hire.
- Worked with the Gambian Department of Agriculture to train village women in fruit and vegetable preservation.
- Supplied drying frames to 60 villages interested in drying their own fruit and vegetables.
- Enabled many womens groups to set up their own businesses in agricultural based projects.
- Set up three bee-keeping businesses.
- Set up four tie-dye businesses, to complement the sewing businesses - see picture on the Pictures page.
Contacts: Barbara on 01462 813620, or Sarjo (in Gambia) on 00220 666 7730